This topic is locked

Look-up Populates multiple columns

1/12/2017 4:31:20 PM
ASPRunner.NET General questions
N
nfgcgrb author

I have a table of job positions that contains some details about the job, I have another table that has Job IDs, Job Titles, Departments and department codes. I want to select a value from the drop-down list based on a look up table, such as the title department combination, and return the job code and department code from the lookup table.
so one look up that updates 4 fields.
ASPRunner.net with Microsoft SQL

jadachDevClub member 1/12/2017

Can't you use dependent dropdowns or auto-fill? Do you have a foreign key?

N
nfgcgrb author 1/12/2017

Can't you use dependent dropdowns or auto-fill? Do you have a foreign key?

Thank you for the response,
I'm Very new to ASPRunner.net, so I won't pretend to know how a lot of it works, but if I understand dependent drop downs
Select value 1 Job description

On value 2, I only see options that exist with value 1 (Department description)

On value 3, I only see options that exist with the combination of Value 1 and 2 (Job code)

On value 4, I see what is left (Department code)
So my user needs to touch 4 drop down lists, I was looking for a way that they see the description and department on the first look-up, and get all 4 fields populated with a single action by the user.
Do I understand it correctly? Not sure about autofill, I'll look that up in the manual

jadachDevClub member 1/12/2017

I am actually working on a talent management system right now. It is live and it is very complex.
Can you share the table structure for both tables you are using?

N
nfgcgrb author 1/13/2017

I am actually working on a talent management system right now. It is live and it is very complex.
Can you share the table structure for both tables you are using?

Sure, I'll put that together over the weekend.
The Autofill does seem to work, it stores value in the database, however if I edit that line again, the values is replaced by Please Select, I want to see the database value, and if I need to click on the field to change it. What am I doing wrong?