This topic is locked

User Password Hash

12/18/2016 7:58:47 PM
ASPRunner.NET General questions
R
raymueller authorDevClub member

Hello.
I have a requirement to implement database security in an application where the password is required to be hashed on entry and the application must verify the password hash against the hashed password stored in the database when the user attempts to log in.
What is the best way to implement hashing of the users password on entry and verifying the hash result when the user attempts to log into the application?
Thanks

Ray

Pete K 12/21/2016

Hello.
I have a requirement to implement database security in an application where the password is required to be hashed on entry and the application must verify the password hash against the hashed password stored in the database when the user attempts to log in.
What is the best way to implement hashing of the users password on entry and verifying the hash result when the user attempts to log into the application?
Thanks

Ray

ASPR.net has a built in ability to encrypt passwords (or any other data). How is this different?

R
raymueller authorDevClub member 12/21/2016

I am aware that ASPR.net has encryption methods however I was looking for a routine to perform on a password to produce a MD5 hash as well as a method to compare hashes.
In other applications like ISD, I created a simple class for hashing and verifying a hash.
Ray
ASPR.net has a built in ability to encrypt passwords (or any other data). How is this different?

[/quote]

jadachDevClub member 12/21/2016

If I remember correctly, older versions of ASPRunner.net used to hash passwords (MD5). Now just encryption.

I would be interested in knowing if ASPRunner.net could use an existing Microsoft Membership database for user logins. That does indeed hash passwords.