This topic is locked

Updating PHPRunner application password encryption

11/28/2016 6:53:05 PM
PHPRunner General questions
B
bioman author

Hi,

I have a PHPRunner application that I made some time ago with PHPRunner 7. Now I have the Enterprise Edition of PHPRunner 8.1 and it uses password encryption instead of md5 hashes. I am wondering if there is a way to update this old application in PHPRunner 8.1 Enterprise Edition without breaking the original passwords. Is there a best practice for something like this? Thanks,

Brett

admin 11/29/2016

If you open an old project that uses MD5 password encryption in newer version of PHPRunner you still should be able to use MD5 password encryption.

B
bioman author 11/29/2016

Thanks Sergey,

Unfortunately my original PHPRunner files were destroyed in a hard drive crash (but my published application is still in use on my server). If I create a new application with the same fields and functionality, is there a way to still have it work with the original password system or do I just need to start over and have my users re-register? Thanks,

Brett

If you open an old project that uses MD5 password encryption in newer version of PHPRunner you still should be able to use MD5 password encryption.

admin 11/29/2016

You can create a new dummy project in PHPRunner 7 with this option enabled and then open it in PHPRunner 9.

kujox 12/4/2016

You can create a new dummy project in PHPRunner 7 with this option enabled and then open it in PHPRunner 9.

I think you could create a PHP script to brute force the MD5 hashes and the save the password into a plain text field, then use the enterprise version of the encryption to re-encrypt them.
I have to add this wouldn't do them all and could take a while.
For 20 at a time try here

https://crackstation.net/
or this might help

http://project-rainbowcrack.com/table.htm

B
bioman author 1/1/2017

Hi Sergey,

Is there some way to get PHPRunner 7.1 again? The hard drive crash destroyed it and I only have 8.1 now. Thanks,

Brett